Friday, February 21, 2014

Getting Rid of Grime

Getting Rid of Grime

The stove top can get pretty messy with all the cooking that goes on. Even though I'm not a great chef in the kitchen it still seems to get ridiculously dirty. I had to do something to get rid of the grime caked on the burners. I had heard about using Ammonia to take off the grease but I wasn't sure if it would work, given the fact that I have tried many store bought products that didn't come through for me. But I went ahead and gave it a shot.


Ammonia
Gallon size Ziploc bags
Gloves
Scrubbing Sponges
S.O.S pads (optional)

First thing you want to do is put one of the burners into the Ziploc bag. Once you get it in (I almost though that it wasn't going to fit, but you really got push that sucker in) you'll need to pour in about a cup or so of Ammonia (I just eyeballed it) you really just need enough to make a thin layer on the bottom of the bag, don't fill it all the way up or it will leak. I set mine on a cookie sheet just in case it dripped. You want to let it sit for at least 12 hours to really let the Ammonia do it's job. But the longer it sits the better! It should look like this in the bag after sitting..


I let the first ones sit for about 18-20 hours I took them out and cleaned them up. It seemed as if I was scrubbing so hard and I wasn't getting the results I wanted. Can you seen the black grime still in the creases of the burners. NOT THE RESULTS I WAS LOOKING FOR!



So for my next round of burners I left them in for almost 3 days. I know sounds outrageous right, but it was well worth the wait. When I finally took the burner out to clean it off it looked gross!




If you think that was gross. The bag it came out of was DISGUSTING!!

 

But all I had to do was hold it under running water and the grime just fell off. I was so relieved to see the results. I love how they are back to being a gray color instead of black.



See the difference between them?? (1st round on the left, 2nd,sucessful, round on the right)



Just repeat the process till you get the results you want and then enjoy cooking on a nice clean stove top... until it get messy all over again
Have fun cleaning!



1 comment:

  1. Looking to keep your rug clean? Our experts are here to help! We offer high-quality cleaning services for your area rugs at competitive rates, so you can rest assured that you're getting the best possible care.
    Visit:
    SoHo Rug Cleaning

    ReplyDelete