Thursday, April 3, 2014

DIY Ol' King Cole Costume



Yes, I know I get a little TOO excited when one of my kids has a project to do. When I got a note home saying that my son was having Nursery Rhyme day at school I knew I would have fun making his costume. He wanted to be Humpty Dumpty, but you can only imagen how many other kids thought of that too. I wanted him to be a little more outside the box. So I went through ALL of his nursery rhyme books (all 2 of them) & I decided Ol' King Cole was the best fit. When he found out he was going to be a KING he didn't have any complaints. I don't have a sewing machine so every project I do doesn't require much sewing (I only sew by hand & use fabric glue for the rest).
I went to Hobby Lobby to get the materials:
Red Velvety Fabric
Fur like Fabric
Liquid Stich (or fabric glue) 
Jewels
Gold Foam Paper
White Ribbon
Things I used from home:
Rain Boots
Old Belt
Pole
Foam Ball
Starting with the cape, I used a rectangle shaped piece of the red fabric & on the bottom I trimmed it out with the fur. At the top of the cape I stitched on the white ribbon so I could tie it to hold the cape in place while he wore it. That looked a little plain for my taste so I made a piece that draped in front & put a design on it to cover the white ribbon where it connected.  
The boots were easy, I just covered his rain boots with the red fabric & trimmed the top with the fur. To add a little extra bling (because he was a king) I used the gold foam paper to make buckles on the boots.
For his crown, I just used the gold foam paper & cut out a design I thought looked "crown" like. I trimmed the bottom of the crown in the fur & I glued jewels on it for more bling. Once I glued the jewel on the top of the crown (on the cross part in the front) it became a little too top heavy & it was flopping down. So I just glued a random popsicle stick to the back to hold it up straight & it was fine after that. I used the same gold paper to make his arm cuffs & used ribbon to secure them in the back.
The sector came together quite fast, I used a pole & a foam ball I had lying around. Luckily the pole was already black so it didn't need any attention of it's own. I just covered the ball with the red fabric & used the gold foam paper & fur to add little accents. 
He always wears a belt, so I covered his belt in the fabric & used the gold foam paper to cover the metal buckles.  
All Done. I was pleased with how it all came together & it only took me about a day & 1/2 to get done (I take a lot of breaks). The only thing I can suggest is beware when working with that fur fabric. The fur gets EVERYWHERE & after your done it looks like someone murdered a cat in the house. So have your vacuum handy.
Leave a comment below & let me know if you like to make your own costumes.

2 comments:

  1. Came across your blog while working on my son's Prince costume. Great work! I am a little confused about your drape(near cape) ; is it a rectangular piece that you have scrunched together and draped on side? how is it fastened? The clasp is made of foam?
    Hoping for a quick reply:) Thx:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cosplay parties are being hosted worldwide due to their different approach towards each and everything. Cosplay or costume play simply involves wearing anime costumes and hair wigs. Here, an individual imitates the behavior of a specific anime character. anime cosplay costumes

    ReplyDelete