Friday, March 21, 2014

Cleaning Up Shattered Glass


I've got to say I'm a little more clumsy than I'd like to admit, I've probably broken more glass than my kids actually have. Cleaning up shattered glass is nerve racking, I always felt like I was leaving pieces behind for someone to step on. I now feel like I have mastered the task (maybe it was all the practice I had cleaning up after myself).
First & foremost protect yourself & others, so clear the room of kids & animals. & if your not wearing any shoes, now would be the time to put some on so you don't cut your feet.
Now you can carefully pick up the "big" pieces. As for the little shards they can be a bit more tricky. There were times when the glass was so fine I felt as if I didn't even know where to start sweeping. To help in this kind of situation your going to need some baking soda (I love baking soda, it can be used for almost anything). The baking soda will keep the glass from sticking to the floor & the broom & it can also help you spot where the glass is.
Get your broom & dust pan ready, sweep your glass into a pile & pick it up in the dust pan. I like to bag mine in a small throw-away bag to be sure I don't have glass sitting at the bottom of my kitchen trash can. After sweeping it's time to bring out the "big guns" so to speak, my vacuum. I vacuum up the area just to make sure the broom didn't leave anything behind.
 Even with that I still don't feel safe enough to walk barefooted on the floor, so I get a wet paper towel & wipe up the "danger zone". Just be cautious not to flip the wet paper towel after you start wiping, that way you don't happen to get a tiny piece of glass stuck in your hand.
Now that your finished with the clean up make sure you dispose of everything to avoid any further incidents from happening. Everything is already bagged up just empty the vacuum in the bag & take it out to the trash. While your outside give your shoes a good wipe & clap to make sure you don't have any glass stuck to your shoes.
All Done . . . You don't have to worry about your children or pets accidentally stepping on any left behind glass.


Leave a comment below & let me know if this was helpful or if you use a different method . . .

4 comments:

  1. Excellent and a wonderful read! Your article is the best one I have learnt, and How To Remove Scratches From Glass it has helped me. Keep doing that..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your useful cleaning tips! I've noticed that you've got a dog ;) So, I'd like to advise you to have a peek here in order to find out more about the best tools to remove dog hair from a couch. Hair from a beloved animal can be very frustrating when it finds its way into your clothes, carpeting, furniture, and upholstery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SB Cleaning Services pte Ltd is Singapore-based cleaning services firm. An affordable, skilled and dependable cleaning service. Flexible and bookable.

    To know more about our services please click below links

    Carpet cleaning service singapore & upholstery cleaners in Singapore

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Article… I love to read your articles because your writing style is too good.
    Retail Outlet Glass Cleaning

    ReplyDelete