Thursday, March 6, 2014

Learning Greater Than And Less Than


Learning Greater Than And Less Than


I'm working on helping my little one out with learning more than & less than, plus she needs help with her number recognition so this game is great for both . We were watching Bubble Guppies the other day & it inspired me to make this game . On the show they had a dinosaur running & they were checking it's speed . That's the reason there is a dino . . .
All I did was make a chart with numbers from 1 - 10 & we were using the number 5 as our greater than or less than number . So I circled it in green & underlined all the less than numbers in green as well, then I underlined all the greater than numbers in red . I also made a small arrow & then cut out some number (of course 1 - 10)

We took turns drawing numbers from the bowl, she had to tell me the number she drew, show me how many fingers it is, then count it out on the chart & put the arrow on it .

I had her lay the number she drew on the dino so she could see her number vs numbers on the chart . Simple enough right . . . After a couple of turns I started to ask her if the number she drew was greater than 5 or less than 5 . She got the first one wrong but after that she was getting them all right, now she loves playing .

The tricky part was when she drew the number 5 . . . I guess I didn't really think that part through until it happened . I just told her that 5 is not more than or less than 5 because it's the SAME .
We played this all morning, it turned out to be more fun than I thought & we had a dino - rific time . It really did help her with her number recognition more than I accepted .
Hope you enjoyed this idea & let me know if you & your toddler play anything similar to this or if you plan on using it for yourself . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment